When spiders attack, these freaks of nature inject lethal venom into your bloodstream. Black widows, brown recluses, and redback spiders alike infest your house and spread into your bed and other dark places where they wait to bite and poison you with their toxin.
About half of all brown recluse bites result in harmful symptoms. When their fangs manage to pierce through your skin, the results can be very dangerous. Typical symptoms include nausea, vomiting, intense muscle and joint pain, skin rashes. and high fevers. The skin that has been bit will oftentimes either die or become infected in a process known as necrosis. Their bites can also cause loxoscelism; a condition in which the damaged tissue becomes gangrenous and begins sloughing away slowly due to the gangrene. Additionally, once the venom makes its way into your bloodstream, you may experience blood clotting, organ failure leading to a coma, and ultimately, death.
Although most healthy adults are likely to survive a brown recluse bite, children, the elderly, and those with weak immune systems are at greatest risk of dying or suffering from the severe symptoms. The bites themselves tend to be painless, meaning they can often take between two to eight hours before any harmful effects begin appearing. Fortunately, antivenom and modern medicine have proven to be effective treatment methods. Experts suggest, however, that once a person is bit, an attempt must be made to capture the spider and take it with when seeking medical help as it is fairly common for bites to be misdiagnosed. Chemical burns, various skin infections, and even herpes and syphilis have often been mistaken for brown recluse bites. In fact, it is estimated that close to 80% of all reported bites are actually misdiagnosed.